Filed under Showcase, The Arts

The Week in Pop Culture (4/8/18-4/14/18)

Lights...Camera...Action...

Every week is another chance for headlines and breaking news. This can be said for the current political climate, sports news, and Hollywood, the latter of which this article will be focused on. As against Hollywood as we may claim to be, let’s face it; we all secretly care about it at least a bit. I’m going to be breaking down the top three most important news in pop culture at the moment.

Bill Cosby Trial

Bill Cosby heading into court for his trial. Photo from CNN.

After a hung jury led to a retrial in Bill Cosby’s sexual assault case, the disgraced comedian is back in the courtroom for round two. Numerous victims have accused him of drugging, groping, and raping them. The former star of The Cosby Show has denied these claims, saying that all of his encounters were consensual. Dozens of women have accused him of assault over a period of 30 years, but only a small number of those have taken the stand to testify against Cosby because most were blocked by the judge. These shocking testimonies, along with the #MeToo and Time’s Up movements, will make it increasing more difficult for Cosby to win his case, which would be a win for sexual assault victims everyone.

SNL April 7

Cardi B and Chadwick Boseman with SNL cast member, Leslie Jones, during a show promo. Photo from Spin.

Last week’s Saturday Night Live was hosted by actor Chadwick Boseman with musical guest, rapper Cardi B. Boseman’s hilarious acting made the show one of the best of Season 43. He reprised his role as T’Challa from Black Panther in the highlight skit of the night, Black Jeopardy. Another high point was Alec Baldwin returning to the show in his hysterical role as President Trump. Although a few of the skits were forgettable and unfunny, these two really stuck out. And then, adding to the fun atmosphere of the show, Cardi B revealed in her second performance that she’s expecting a baby with Migos rapper, Offset. The overall vibe of the show was light-hearted and enjoyable, which is exactly what SNL should be.

Yodel Boy

Mason Ramsey has gained fame in the last few weeks for his distinct yodel. Photo from Hello Magazine.

11 year old aspiring country singer, Mason Ramsey, broke the internet last week when a video of him yodeling in Walmart went viral. He quickly gained legions of fans across the country, including Justin Bieber, thanks to his performance. Since he was thrust into the spotlight, Mason has gone on to performing on The Ellen Show and was rewarded a college scholarship by Walmart. This past weekend was monumental for him, as he performed at both Coachella and the famous Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. Whether he sticks around for a while or is just a short-lived internet sensation, we’ll have to wait and see.

Check back at a later time for next week’s pop culture update!