Filed under Showcase, The Arts

Jordan Peele Wins Oscar

"Get Out" Writer and Director Wins For Best Original Screenplay

Jordan Peele Wins Oscar

Jordan Peele– the man, the myth, the legend– has pulled off a triumph. He is the first African American to win an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.

Peele giving his acceptance speech

Peele’s first film as a solo director, Get Out, received massive critical acclaim– holding a 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, and grossing over $250 million on a budget of $4.5 million.

Get Out was released in February of 2017, and it is still being talked about. Normally, films that are released at the end of the year are the only ones that get recognition at the Oscars, but Get Out was an exception. This film continued to get talked about throughout the year and went on to get nominated for Best Picture, Best Director, Best Actor, and Best Original Screenplay.

The poster for Peele’s hit film, Get Out

Ultimately, Peele went on to win an Academy Award for his screenplay for the film, which had fans over the moon.

In his acceptance speech, Peele stated “This means so much to me. I stopped writing this movie about 20 times because I thought it was impossible. I thought it wasn’t gonna work, I thought no one would ever make this movie, but I kept coming back to it because I knew if someone let me make this movie, then people would hear it and people would see it.”

Peele had quite an interesting life leading up to his award win. After dropping out from Sarah Lawrence College, Peele pursued improv comedy where he joined the cast of the FOX sketch series MADtv, co-starring with comedian Keegan Michael Key.

These two developed incredible chemistry over the course of filming MADtv, and were soon co-creating and starring in their own sketch comedy series, Key and Peele.

The popular and acclaimed sketch comedy television series “Key and Peele”

Senior Christopher Mullane said, “Key and Peele was one of my favorite shows for awhile. I am excited that Peele is getting the recognition he deserves.”

Senior James McSweeney said, “I loved Get Out. It was my favorite movie of the decade. You heard me right– decade! I love Peele!”

After the success of Get Out, Peele has since stated that he wants to stick to directing and less acting. While he recently voiced a role in the 2017 animation film, Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie, he intends to sticking to creating more original projects. Possibly a Get Out 2? Peele stated, “I will definitely, seriously consider it. I love that universe and feel like there’s more story to tell. I don’t know what it is now, but there are some loose ends, if you know the movie.”