Filed under National, Showcase

Bomb Cyclone Hits Northeast

No sign of spring in the Northeast.

Photo+credit+to+CNN.+
Photo credit to CNN.

Photo credit to CNN.

Photo credit to CNN.

Thousands are without power after Winter Storm Riley battered the Northeast on Friday.

The “bomb cyclone,” as it is known to meteorologists, caused downed trees and power outages as a result of the high winds and snow. According to Time, 1.5 million people are still without power, including thousands of homes in Rye. Utility workers are working around the clock to bring back the power, but thousands of people will have to live without it for a few more days.

A fallen tree smashes cars in Providence, Rhode Island. Photo from NPR.

Much of the East Coast has also been impacted by serious flooding. Rising waters and storm surges in parts of Massachusetts, including metropolitan Boston, forced the National Guard to intervene and rescue people from their flooded homes. Police were urging residents to stay in their homes and not drive in their cars in order to prevent cars from stalling and people from drowning. In Rye, high rains softened the turf and delayed spring sports tryouts, but luckily there was no major flooding.

High winds, reaching up to 90 miles an hour in parts of Cape Cod, added danger to the situation. Falling trees caused numerous injuries and nine deaths. Unfortunately, one of the nine killed was an 11 year old boy from Putnam County, the neighboring county to Westchester. Sophomore Kate Stevens, who had a large tree fall in her driveway, said that although it was lucky that “it was in the opposite direction of [her] house,” it was “still very frightening.” Power lines were also knocked down, causing massive power outages all throughout the Northeast. Since so many families in Rye lost power, the high school stayed open until 9:00pm on Monday night to serve as a place for those without power to do homework and charge devices.

High flood waters trap a car in Scituate, Massachusetts. Photo from The Independent.

People are working hard to clean up the damage left by the bomb cyclone, especially since another Noreaster coming later this week is expected to dump up to a foot of snow in Rye and almost two feet in parts of upstate New York. Although the National Weather Service only has “medium confidence” (NJ.com) that their predictions are accurate, they are fairly confident in the idea that the Northeast has another tough week ahead.