Girls Basketball Wins Section Championship

Recap on the semi-final and championship games.

On February 27, the girl’s basketball team headed off to the semi-finals at the county center where they would go up against Somers. Somers, who was defending a section-1 championship, beat the Garnets in the quarterfinals last year. Few of the team members were expecting a win, and after losing many seniors last season. This, by no means, would be an easy win for Rye.

The Garnets started out with a comfortable lead in the first quarter and a half, leading by as much as 10 points against the 2nd-seed Somers. The last few minutes of the 2nd quarter presented a challenge when Somers pulled ahead and came within 2 points at halftime. Varsity player and Junior Bela Krslovic, an excellent shooter who has unfortunately been out on an injury this season, provided eloquent commentary on both games. Krslovic said, “At halftime, we knew what we had to do to pull out against a competitive athletic Somers. We had no doubt that we would pull off the win.” In the 3rd quarter, Somers was gaining traction. Rye fought to match them and stayed within 2-6 points of Somers the entire quarter. The fourth quarter was the turning point for Rye. Sophomore Teaghan Flaherty had a timely 3 point shot early in the 4th to put the Garnets within 2 points of Somers. Late in the fourth Flaherty had a 4 point play, where she was fouled on the 3 point and made her foul shot. That tied it. “The rest of the game each team knew the winner was going to be the team with the defensive stop because time was running out,” said Krslovic. Rye fouled Somers on a shot, but Somers only made their first foul shot to put them up by one. It was 49-48 Somers. Rye called timeout and got the last play of the game.

via @Ryewbb

Now, the moment everyone’s been talking about- the game-winning shot made by freshman Amanda Latkany. During the timeout, a play was scripted that involved an alternate series of events. That play was not executed but Latkany’s hustle play got her the game-winning buzzer beater. She kept playing until she heard the buzzer, while Somers thought they had secured the win, she got the rebound and banked a jumper. The whole room hesitated, unsure if the shot was made in time. The ball left Latkany’s hands with .3 seconds on the clock, making her shot valid. Rye won 50-49, dethroning last year’s champs. Varsity player and Junior Maddie Frelich “Watching the game was so surreal. The last quarter had the whole bench on the edge of our seats. The ending with Amanda Latkany’s buzzer-beater was completely insane.” It was a scene straight out of a cliche sports movie come true. It was an unbelievable moment for the underdogs, Rye, and even more unbelievable was the game-winning shot made by a freshman on the buzzer. This game would send the girls team to the section championships at Pace University.

via @Ryewbb

Fresh off their win, the team caravaned to Manhattan to play Harrison in the section championship.  “Rye went into the game confident, but we knew we were going to have to perform to the best of our ability to beat Harrison.” The team believed they had an edge over Harrison because they have more “depth” and more people that can make plays. The game got off to a slow start, the 1st quarter ending in single digits. In the 2nd quarter, Rye got the lead but there was still a long game ahead. Latkany had 4 blocks in the 1st eleven minutes; Hannah Mullaly and Niamh Carty also each had a block. Harrison pushed back, ending the first half with a tie of 16-16. “At halftime, Rye knew we needed to calm down and play our game. We got out of the locker room and it was a whole other game.” Krslovic said. Points scored by Flaherty and Latkany put Rye in a comfortable lead early in the second half.  Flaherty was fouled on a 3 point shot (which she made) and Latkany was fouled on back to back makes. Then, Harrison knocked down consecutive 3 point shots, thus, tying the score. The rest of the 4th was all heart. Senior Captain Margaret Mitchell played amazing defense on Harrison’s star guard, causing turnovers. “Those defensive plays were crucial for the Garnets, and that’s what Mitchell was doing all year.” Flaherty knocked down yet another 3-pointer late in the 4th and then a layup, keeping Rye ahead by 5. Harrison was grasping for a comeback and fouled Carty. Carty made her two free throws, winning the game for Rye. The score was 45-42. After another unexpected win, the girls took home shiny medals and blue t-shirts with the text “Section Champs” pasted across them.

via @Ryewbb

On Tuesday, March 6, the team left for Binghamton University to play in the regionals against Seton Catholic High School. Unfortunately, the Garnets did not win again at Binghamton, but as always they played with heart and put up a strong effort. Although it was a sad loss, the team was happy to have made it so far in the first place. What looked like it was going to a rebuilding year, became a glorious section championship. The Rye girls basketball team now has an Instagram @Ryewbb. Follow to support Rye girls basketball! Congratulations to the team on a successful season.