How Meditating Is Beneficial to your Health

1.

Makes you happier
Meditation causes the pituitary gland in our brain to secrete endorphins that help elevate mood and have a positive effect on the whole body. It also alters brain activity to enhance the area associated with positive emotional experiences.

2.

Reduces stress
Endorphins also act as a means of reducing stress levels in the brain; so by meditating you can stop worrying about the little things in life and concentrate on the exploration of yourself and the promotion of positive feelings.

3.

Helps you focus
Meditating allows you to learn how to discipline yourself and this will reflect in your everyday lifestyle. When you address tasks, your mind will focus more naturally and you will experience an increased efficiency.

4.

Improves sleep
Scientific studies have shown that those who meditate enhance their slow wave sleep pattern, which can help fight insomnia. Furthermore, focussing the mind on mental and physical processes will aid relaxation and consequently, sleep.

5.

Lowers blood pressure
Research has also shown that meditation can reduce blood pressure, both in the short term and later in life. By decreasing psychological stress and increasing coping ability, blood pressure decreases, helping you pursue a healthier life.

6.

Relieves Pain
Long term practise of meditation can lead to physical changes in the brain that help alter the perception of pain. Those who meditate will experience lower pain sensitivity. Mindfulness, a result of meditation, can also help those who suffer chronic pain come to terms.

7.

Connects you with others
Whilst it is true that meditation is mostly concentrated on self-growth, it also improves our social interaction. The mind becomes more sharply focussed on compassionate feelings that are directed towards others. As little as a few minutes of meditation practise can increase positive feelings towards strangers.

8.

Strengthens your aura
Practising meditation increases your positive energy, which effectively makes you more pleasant to be around. People naturally gravitate towards positivity so your strengthened aura will help you enjoy others’ company whilst they make the most of yours.

All of the benefits of meditation listed combine to help you become a healthier person. Reducing blood pressure, anxiety and depression helps you to handle pain and illness better and as an individual you can expect to become calmer and more centred, which will help you process decisions that lead to a healthy, long and fulfilled life.

Youtuber and Boston University student  Arlin Moore talking about how to practice and begin meditation for beginners on his Youtube channel.