Filed under Community, News, Showcase

Career GPS Event

Monday, January 29, we attended a panel at Serendipity labs for students interested in pursuing the humanities. The highly esteemed panelists had advice, experience, and lessons to share about their impressive careers. The speakers ranged from writers to lawyers to social media creators. The audience was highly captivated by their wide range of accomplishments. Whether you’re interested in humanities or not, this conference had something to offer everyone.

The first panelist was Marguerite Ward, a writer and editor for The Today Show at NBC. A Rye High Alumna, Marguerite had strong insight into the lives of students here. She started out writing for the Garnet&Black and submitting poetry to Zephyr. When asked what advice she would give to her high school self, she told us not to feel pressured or intimidated by big college names. She ensured us that even if we don’t get in where we want to go or get that internship or receive that award, we can still arrive at our goals. It’s just a matter of working hard.

The next panelist was Josh Nathan, a media lawyer whose son attends Rye High School. Nathan went to Vassar and majored in Art History. He explained how his love for art history helped him get into law school because, to him, art history is all about arguments. He told us to ask ourselves “What am I willing to work hard at?” Once you find that thing you love to do, you’ll find you want to work hard at it. He emphasized how telling a story through what you do is a key to success.

Following Nathan was Eliza Harris, the COO of Indagare Travel and former managing editor of Town & Country Travel. Her words to live by are “Find something that makes you come alive.” She encouraged us to try new things and gain experiences until we find that niche. Harris also expressed how important it is to never stop learning and growing. A huge part of success is understanding you can always learn more and you’ve never learned it all.  When in an interview, she said, do not just list your resume like a fact sheet; it’s your life, tell a story with it.

Tina Exarhos, the Chief Content Officer of Now This Media went to NYU for journalism, took all of her required classes in her first two years of college, and then realized she wasn’t even interested in journalism! She was then able to switch to a women’s history major.  She ensured us that the first job we have is not going to be our lifelong profession, but stressed how we must be willing to work through these lower level jobs in order to expect any professional growth later. Exarhos stated that getting a job is really about a personal, human connection, and told us that she has never actually hired anyone based off of what college he/she went to.

Aaron Griffiths is the Global creative lead at Facebook and Instagram and he attended Santa Clara University. Griffiths emphasized how as a kid, the one thing he knew for sure was that he loved hearing and telling stories. He told us to know what makes you feel good and use that feeling of joy to have as many experiences as you can in college. He loves job interviews because he views them as an opportunity to tell a story. When interviewing others he looks for confidence, passion, and humility.

As students who plan on studying within the realm of humanities in college, this panel was not only informative regarding college and humanities-based career paths, but it was inspiring, too. The speakers did an excellent job of informing us as well as reassuring us that we will all end up in the right place eventually. We also owe thanks to the moderator, Andrea Hessekiel, who is a successful journalist and college essay consultant. Her questions were insightful and helped guide the conversation smoothly. A special thanks to the Rye Youth Council for putting on an educational and fascinating event.