A Unifying Message from Trump as Democrats Pout

Peter Ackerman, Editor

President Trump gave his first State of the Union Tuesday night.  Early polls show nearly 80 percent of Americans felt Trump’s speech was an attempt to unify the country.  2/3 Americans said the speech made them feel proud to be American.  Trump hit on major achievements of his first year including tax reform, the surging economy, and focused on policy for the upcoming year including: Infrastructure and border security. Trump called on both parties to put political differences aside and work towards bipartisan goals.  Despite this attempt to unify the country Democrats refused to clap for issues that seemed like no-brainers.  When Trump announced the black unemployment rate had reached its lowest rate ever The Congressional Black Caucus remained seated and did not clap.  When Trump announced US foreign aid would no longer be going to “enemies of America” Democrats also remained seated and refused to clap.  Later in the speech, Trump expressed solidarity with protestors in Iran fighting a tyrannical dictatorship, once again silence from the Democrats.  Trump also touched on the 3 million workers who have received bonuses following the tax plan, again dead silence from the Democrats.  The Daily Wire reported that”When Trump told a heart-wrenching story about two young girls killed by MS-13 gang members — their parents were in Trump’s box and sobbed softly — he said: “Tonight, I am calling on the Congress to finally close the deadly loopholes that have allowed MS-13, and other criminals, to break into our country. We have proposed new legislation that will fix our immigration laws, and support our ICE and Border Patrol Agents … so that this cannot ever happen again.”The camera panned the room: One side clapping, the other side, nothing. In fact, boos and groans were heard when Trump began his story.”  In a time of intense political divide, one side made an attempt to unify and one side showed their true colors, the Democrats have shown that they would rather oppose Trump than support America.  Senior Carl Friedrich summed it up stating “The fact that it’s so hard for Democrats to acknowledge trumps accomplishments in office so far is what is dividing us. He’s done a great job with the economy and moving forward to making the country safer.”