Summer 2017 Blockbuster Preview

Best Time of Year for Movies

Miles Goldman, Editor

June 16: All Eyez on Me, the latest biopic film follows the life of Tupac Shakur, including his rise to fame, and his time at Death Row Records, as well as his imprisonment. Following the well-praised Straight Outta Compton, the film is heavily anticipated.

June 21: Transformers: The Last Knight is the fifth film in the extremely successful Transformers franchise. The last film received more than $1 billion at the Worldwide box office so it was a given that another would be made. Unfortunately, the films have definitely shown a decrease in quality, but it seems like there is still an avid fan base out there.

June 30: The House, starring Will Ferrell and Amy Poehler follows two parents who run an illegal casino in the basement of their house, in order to support their daughter’s college fund. Will Ferrell has been on a cold streak as of late, so the film could go either way. The commercials have been moderately funny so hopefully it delivers.

July 7: Spider-Man: Homecoming, the latest film in the Marvel Universe, has Tom Holland playing Spider-Man, instead of Andrew Garfield. This film portrays Peter Parker during his high school years in New York City, when first learning to balance crime and his everyday life. Both The Amazing Spider-Man and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 were let downs in my opinion, but I have a feeling this new portrayal of Spider-Man will be a success.

July 14: War of the Planet of the Apes, the third in the franchise following Rise and Dawn, features Caesar and the apes fighting against an army of humans. This movie appears to be much darker in tone compared to the prior films, with their being much more action. Junior Jack Hartman stated, “I haven’t seen the other films in the franchise, but from the trailers this looks awesome. I am definitely gonna watch the previous movies before seeing this.”

July 21: Dunkirk, from acclaimed director Christopher Nolan, is heavily anticipated in which Nolan’s last films have been very highly regarded, such as The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, and Inception. This film takes place during the early stages of the Second World War, and follows allied soldiers from Britain, Canada, Belgium, and France surrounded by a German Army on the beaches of Dunkirk. Junior Chris Mullane said, “This movie looks awesome. I’m a big Nolan fan so I’ll watch anything he puts out.”