“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” Held For Ransom By Real Life Pirates

Online Pirates Cannot Be Stopped!

Hall Luthringer

Hackers have reportedly obtained a copy of Disney’s new “Pirates of the Caribbean” film and are now holding the film for ransom. The hackers are demanding an immense amount of Bitcoin or they will release the film before its premiere which is set to take place on May 26 Deadline reports. According to Disney, they will not be paying the ransom and are working with FBI.

A similar incident occurred a few weeks back when hackers acquired the new season of “Orange is the New Black,” but Netflix also refused to pay the ransom. After Netflix refused to pay the ransom, hackers released 10 out of the 12 new episodes from the series “Orange is the New Black”. The hack is believed to be unrelated to a massive ransom ware attack that has spread across the globe. Ransom-style computer attacks have grown in popularity in the last few years as banks and other institutions make it harder for hackers to infiltrate their systems. Hacking in Hollywood is not an unusual dilemma, but recent cyber attacks have proved to be damaging. In 2014, the Sony Pictures Entertainment hack was a massive problem for the studios whose top executives had their emails revealed to the public. The hacking will not stop, but filmmakers need to be more aware of the loopholes in their security.