The Fate of the Furious Review

Latest Fast and Furious Movie Delivers Lots of Fun Action

The Fate of the Furious, the latest in the mega installment of the Fast and Furious franchise, marks the eighth film. Following Furious 7, which marked the death of Paul Walker, The Fate of the Furious takes places right where Furious 7 left off.

Being a fan of the films from Fast Five and onward, I had somewhat high expectations for the latest installment, in which I didn’t expect top notch acting or dialogue, but fun action scenes, car racing, and shootouts. With Charlize Theron making an appearance in this film as the lead villain and F. Gary Gray, director of Straight Outta Compton, directing this latest installment, in addition to Vin Diesel, Jason Statham, Dwayne Johnson, and Tyrese Gibson reprising their roles, I didn’t expect this film to be a misfire to the series. What I got with the film was a campy action movie, that was just about as good as the latest installments.

The Fate of the Furious follows Dominic Toretto, played by Vin Diesel, who is forced to leave his team behind after Cipher, played by Charlize Theron: a criminal mastermind and cyber terrorist, coerces Dom into working against his team after holding his ex-wife and son hostage. This leaves Dom in a dilemma that he can’t share with his team, or else he will risk the lives of his ex-wife and son. On the other hand, Luke Hobbs and Deckard Shaw, played by Dwayne Johnson and Jason Statham respectively, pursue on a mission with the rest of their team to track down Dom and take down Cipher. While lately the Fast and Furious movies haven’t been all about street racing and cars, unlike the first four, this one has shades of its original roots. The opening sequence features an adrenaline pumping and high octane car race that had me on the edge of my seat. The film begins to slow down after that sequence, and begins to focus more on the characters. I’ll admit, the dialogue is cringe-worthy at many moments, but I didn’t expect much. The actors do their best to embrace the craziness and absurdity that goes down, where it shows that they had a blast shooting this movie. One of the lines of dialogue even features a major character exclaiming “If we don’t do this, we will put the whole world at risk.”

Junior Dominic Vitiello, my good buddy who I brought to the flick stated, “I never saw a single Fast and Furious movie prior to seeing this one, but I had a blast. It’s one of those mindless action movies where you can turn your brain off and enjoy the characters and action.”

Junior Joseph Melfi said, “I loved the movie. I’m a big fan of the Fast and Furious movies, and I wasn’t let down.”

Overall, I thought the film suffered from weak dialogue and shaky performances but as a whole I had a blast watching The Fate of the Furious because of the fun action sequences; I would give it a solid 7.5/10.

A shot between actors Charlize Theron and Vin Diesel working together on the same team.