Filed under Opinion, Showcase

The Flash Review

"My Name is Barry Allen and I am the Fastest Man Alive."

Every day he tries to get faster. The safety of Central City is placed in his hands. With the help of his friends, he will do whatever it takes to keep his family and the woman he loves safe from harm’s way.

Based on the DC Comics, Grant Gustin stars as The Flash. Before his transformation, Barry Allen was a forensic scientist who worked alongside the Central City Police Department at crime investigations. Even though he would always arrive late to work everyday, he was one of the best and most reliable investigators the police counted on.  When a particle accelerator experiment created by S.T.A.R Labs failed to achieve its expectations, Barry accidentally receives the gift of super speed after being struck by lightning during the explosion.

Unlike other television series, the writers who work behind the scenes of The Flash have a unique ability of keeping their audiences on their toes and leaving them at the end of each episode with the unbearable urge of wanting to know more. Grappling and sensational, these talented writers have done an excellent job in creating strong, developed characters played by a  brilliant cast who brings these characters to life and makes the audience feel part of Team Flash. As you watch each episode either on television or on Netflix, the show builds  plot after plot without steering the story away from the comic book. Every situation interlinks like a puzzle, illustrating the big picture of the main climax in a way that makes sense to all viewers. Here are some photos of The Flash cast: GO TEAM FLASH!!!!

Carlos Valdes (far left), Keiynan Lonsdale (next to Valdes on the right), Tom Cavanagh (top), Grant Gustin (bottom), Jesse L   Martin (right of Gustin), Tom Felton (far right).

Tom Cavanagh (far left), Jesse L Martin (right of Cavanagh), Candice Patton (middle), Grant Gustin (right of Patton), Danielle Panabaker (far right).

The show, which aired on The CW in 2014, commences the series with season 1 where we are introduced to Barry’s tragic childhood backstory and how Barry’s dad’s friend Joe West (Jesse L Martin) and his daughter (Candice Patton) take Barry under their wing. Joe West works as a cop and later works with Barry in the CCPD when Barry gets older. When Barry gets his powers, we meet scientists Cisco Ramon (Carlos Valdes), Caitlin Snow (Daniel Panabaker), and Harrison Wells (Tom Cavanagh) who are willing to help Barry train to become the hero he was meant to be at S.T.A.R Labs. However, the story has a dark side as we learned that the particle accelerator explosion not only affected Barry but also many other individuals around the city. These people who were given superhuman abilities are called “Meta-humans”. Characters such as Weather Wizard, Mist, Girder, Gorilla Grodd, Black Out, Prism, Peek-A-Boo, Mirror Master, Top,  Pied Piper, and Everyman use their super abilities for crime and become villains of the Flash. To those Prison Break fans out there, actors Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell played the villains Captain Cold and Heat Wave during the first two seasons. Both are such great actors and impersonated their parts really well. Captain Cold, Heat Wave, Golden Glider (Captain Cold’s younger sister), and Trickster are also some of Flash’s villains who appear in the show but they do not have super powers.Reverse Flash, Zoom, and now Season 3 Savitar are some of the biggest foes Barry faces. If you are interested in watching The Flash, keep in mind that the comic and the series are full of  a lot of time-traveling.

The Flash cast on set

The following summaries of each season contain [SPOILERS]: 

During the first season, Barry and the team discover the access to other worlds. Barry is faced with the ultimate truth that the man who mentored and motivated him with effort was actually a rival from the future who robbed the identity of another in order to hide his true scars and to complete his selfish aspirations of returning to his home in the future. The man in the yellow suit who destroyed Barry’s life by murdering his mother. Reverse Flash. Eobard Thawne (played by Matt Letscher) . It is also revealed to Cisco Ramon that he was also affected by the particle accelerator. He has the power to see through any timeline, world, and can also open breaches to other dimensional worlds in the multiverse.

Reverse Flash

Reverse Flash (Tom Cavanagh) and The Flash

In the second season Barry and Cisco travel to Earth 2 and meet Harrison Wells from Earth 2 and his daughter Jessie who later in the series becomes the speedster Jessie Quick. The team discovers that in every world including Earth 2,  they will meet doppelgangers of themselves who live completely different lives. Caitlin Snow and Cisco discover that their doppelgangers in Earth 2 are heartless villains called Killer Frost and Reverb.  The evil speedster Zoom (Hunter Zolomon. Played by Teddy Sears) from Earth 2 threatens Barry that he will destroy his world if he does not surrender his super speed to him. Wally West (played by Keiynan Lonsdale ) enters the series as another important character when Joe’s dying divorced wife reveals to him that she gave birth to a son after she left him and Iris. Wally was son that Joe always wanted. Wally, being a rebellious young man at first, did not accept Joe and Iris as his new family. He would participate in car races in order to remember the memories he had with his mother over and over again.  Joe’s love and care for him overtime demonstrates to Wally the true love of a family. Later in the series, he becomes gifted with super speed and becomes Kid Flash.

Zoom (Teddy Sears) threatening the Flash with the life of Wally West (Keiynan Lonsdale)

The Flash (Grant Gustin)and Kid Flash (Keiynan Lonsdale) on set

Ever since at a young age, Barry and Iris West have been friends since elementary school. They’ve always had each other’s backs through every moment and have shared many beautiful memories with one another. As they both grew older however, they both secretly developed a crush on one another. As season 3 lurked from the shadows, Barry messes up the present by creating an alternate world called Flashpoint. His mistake ruins the lives of his friends and creates a new forensic partner for Barry named Julian (played by Tom Felton). Barry is accidentally transported into the future and finds another speedster called Savitar kill the woman he loves in front of him. In the vision that he saw, he wasn’t fast enough to save her. At this point in the series, Barry and Iris have already confessed their feelings for one another and are currently dating. Trying to find a way to change the future is Barry’s top priority to save Iris from death.

Savitar (voiced by Andre Tricoteux) holding Iris West (Candice Patton) before she dies.

The next few episodes left on season 3 won’t be returning to the big screen until next Tuesday April 25.  The question that all Flash fans are waiting to figure out will be coming sooner than later. Who is the person behind the armored mask? Who is Savitar?

To all Flash fans out there, stay tune for next Tuesday when Barry travels into the year 2024 to find clues into the identity of Savitar. Who do you think is Savitar? To any person who is interested in watching The Flash I highly recommend it.  If you are looking for a series full of thriller, excitement, adventure, superheroes, and lots of non-stop action; this is the series right for you.