Student Admitted to Stanford After Writing #BlackLivesMatter 100 Times for Supplemental Essay

Bold Approach Pays Off

Ben Grigg

New Jersey student Ziad Ahmed was admitted to Stanford this week after writing #BlackLivesMatter 100 times for his supplemental essay. The prompt was “What Matters to You?”, which gave Ziad the idea. The teen admitted he didn’t expect to get into the school, but his essay caught the eye of an admissions director, and in turn landed him admission to one of the most coveted schools in the world. With the lowest acceptance rate in the country, 4.8%, getting into Stanford was unlikely for Ahmed, leading him to throw a hail marry and write #blacklivesmatter in an effort to distinguish himself from other students. Ziad proved that being different means a lot to college admission boards, and taking risks can sometimes pay off in big fashion. His essay isn’t the only reason he was admitted, as he was a model student, ran an anti-discrimination club, and participated in many extracurriculars, but his socially conscious  supplement essay may have given him the extra push to attend one of the worlds top universities.

1 Comment

One Response to “Student Admitted to Stanford After Writing #BlackLivesMatter 100 Times for Supplemental Essay”

1. Stephanie on April 7th, 2017 8:15 am

This story is incredible. Well written article.

[Reply]

• Student Admitted to Stanford After Writing #BlackLivesMatter 100 Times for Supplemental Essay

Showcase

3D Design Class Visits Portal at RAC

Boys Tennis

Boys Varsity Tennis

Boys Lacrosse

Boys Varsity Lacrosse to Face Fordham Prep on G Day

Showcase

Amanda Engels-SToD 4/28

Showcase

Teddy Aquilino – Athlete of the Week

Showcase

Heather Nieman SoTD 4/27

Senior Internships

NFL Draft-Who Should Go #1?

The last male northern rhino is now on Tinder

Opinion

Why The Cavs Won’t Beat The Warriors