Rugby Preview

It's Only the Beginning

This year’s Rugby Team is kicking off the new season with all new players and returning veterans.

Rugby Coach Mr. O’Hara said, ”  This is my 10th overall year coaching. I’ve played since I was a freshman in college. It is exciting coaching the Rugby team here at Rye. That is really how I feel. It’s great because Rugby is a sport that usually in America, students don’t play when they are little. Usually growing up in a town like Rye you play your typical basketball, baseball, soccer, football. So it’s  exciting to see high school students find a new sport and be so excited about it. The two most exciting things are how well we’ve done, you know winning the State  Championship for Division II last year and also just the number of kids that are playing. We have between boys and girls this year between 60-70 kids playing. It’s great!”

For freshman Charlotte O’ Brien, this is her first year on the Rugby team. “I was motivated by my friend Sophie,” she said. “She talked about how fun it was and the cool memories she made. I find Rugby really fun and sometimes a little bit confusing learning the strategies, but overall it’s a great sport!”

Through long practices and strenuous workouts, the boys and girls Rugby teams have been recently training with much effort to get the new team into shape. Their first meet was on Thursday March 30 against Lycee Francais at Randalls Island NYC.

“This is my second year on the Rugby team,” said Senior Alex Palmero. “I’m going to miss the girls and the coaches the most. The way we connect whether or not we are at practice is just amazing and I feel like this year we are becoming a really close team.”

“With the amount of players that we have and a good coaching staff, there is no reason why we can’t win states again and that’s definitely the goal always, ” said Mr. O’Hara. “We want to keep building and growing the program. This is only our third year as a team at the high school but we always want to take steps forward and grow the program so that in ten-twenty years from now, it’s still a very successful team and doesn’t go backwards.

“A lot of people don’t necessarily understand the rules of Rugby but that’s okay.” Mr. O’Hara adds. ” It’s a really fun sport to watch. It’s exciting, it’s fast, and it never stops so it’s really fun for people even if you don’t know the rules to come out and watch a game. It’s really fast and exciting.”

Stay tune for more reviews on upcoming games and come support the Rugby team.