Filed under Opinion

Hidden Figures Review

An inspirational story that will last forever

Hidden Figures is the most incredible movie I have ever seen. There is no other movie that can compare to this inspiring story.  Back in 1961, where racial segregation and workplace sexism were widely accepted by society as the traditional perspective of the time, the contributions of three remarkable women to the NASA Space Program changed the course of American history. During the 60’s African American women use to work as “human computers”, manually calculating the launch of rockets into space using pencils, rulers, and adding machines.

When NASA was struggling to prepare the launch of an astronaut into orbit,  Katherine Goble/Johnson (played by Taraji P. Henson) was assigned from the computer room to a team of mathematicians who were calculating the launch coordinates and the trajectory for an Atlas rocket. She receives a cold welcome from her new coworkers, especially from the engineer Paul Stafford (played by Jim Parsons). She struggled to get her work done because of the fact that the only bathroom she could use was located in a distant building on the campus. Although Katherine faced many obstacles in the workroom, intimidation did not stop her impressing the head Al Harrison (Kevin Costner) from calculating the exact coordinates for the launch and landing coordinates of the spacecraft without a single mathematical error.

Dorothy Vaughan and Mary Jackson also faced discrimination. When the supervisor of the computer room never returned to work after being “sick”, Dorothy decided to play the role as a temporary supervisor but was repeatedly denied the promotion by her immediate boss (Kristen Dunset). The Polish engineer (Olek Krupa) was impressed by Mary’s  knowledge and ideas  on the engineering of the space craft. However in order to become an official engineer at NASA, Mary needed to take a graduate level physics  course at an all white school. Virginia’s Jim Crow Laws was an obstacle in her path that did not allow her to take the course.

When NASA installed the first IBM mainframe, Dorothy Vaughan secretly trained the other girls in the colored computer room how to work the IBM when no one knew how and later became the first African American supervisor. Mary Jackson became the first woman engineer after winning a Supreme Court case which gave her the privilege to take the course. Katherine Johnson won many awards for her contributions to NASA including the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

“The movie Hidden Figures uniquely showcases the struggles faced by African American women throughout American History.” said Senior Allison Hufford. “It’s such a beautiful movie that deserves all the rewards it received.”

Hidden Figures was a movie nominee in this years Oscars. Actress Octavia Spencer was a nominee for best Actress in a Leading Role. The most emotional moment for me was when the academy invited Katherine Johnson to the Oscars accompanied with the actresses who participated in the film.

Katherine Johnson, Dorothy Vaughan, and Mary Jackson were courageous and determined  women  who demonstrated a corrupted society that their appearance is no match for the fact that they can achieve the impossible

Janelle Monáe left (played Mary Jackson), Katherine Johnson in wheelchair (middle), Taraji P. Henson (next to Johnson on the right), and Octavia Spencer (far right).

1 Comment

One Response to “Hidden Figures Review”

1. adviser on March 20th, 2017 11:51 am

Great editorial. You do a wonderful job of covering entertainment.

[Reply]

• Hidden Figures Review

Boys Tennis

JV Tennis Undefeated on the Year

• Hidden Figures Review

Boys Lacrosse

Rye Boys Lacrosse Wrap-Up

• Hidden Figures Review

Bitcoin Could Have Made You a $72M for Just $100

• Hidden Figures Review

Times Square Incident

• Hidden Figures Review

Opinion

The Place Beyond the Pines Movie Review

• Hidden Figures Review

Showcase

Rye Baseball Knocked Out of Playoffs

• Hidden Figures Review

Showcase

Student Exhibition Opens at Rye Arts Center

• Hidden Figures Review

Boys Lacrosse

Rye Lacrosse Playoff Preview

• Hidden Figures Review

“Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales” Held For Ransom By Real Life Pirates

• Hidden Figures Review

Baseball

Rye Varsity Baseball Wins League

Hidden Figures Review